Sausage and Pumpkin Risotto
Any of our Fresh Sausage range works well with this risotto, we really love the Italian one for its European flavours, oh and the cheese! Remember to very gently fry the sausages - use a medium/low heat.
- 6 Frank's Sausages
- Olive oil
- ½ butternut, 1cm diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1.2 l stock – vegetable or chicken (heated)
- 125ml red wine
- 300g Arborio risotto rice
- 300g crème fraiche/sour cream
- 1 T parmesan cheese
- Gently fry sausages in 1-2 T olive oil until golden in a pan large enough to use to cook the risotto. Remove from pan and cut into small slices. Add back to pan and fry for a few mins. Put aside until later.
- Cut butternut into 1cm dices, removing seeds and skin. Finely chop onion and celery. Heat stock in a pot.
- Add pumpkin, onion and celery to pan and cook in residual sausage fat until pumpkin softens and starts caramelising. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Push veggies aside in pan, add red wine and let it pick up all the goodness from the bottom of the pan. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. Add another ladle once the previous one has been absorbed into rice. Repeat this until rice is cooked and oozy.
- Stir through sliced sausages and crème fraiche/sour cream, taste and season.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan.